Posts

Home!

Image
 The Tub & Body Panels Made it Home It has been a long time coming, but the tub and most of the panels are home! I'm still waiting on the tailgate and doors to be completed, and I might do late-style doors instead of my early-style ones. This is because the vent windows won't be usable with the cage and the window frames are pretty bad. We'll see. I had to bolt something on, so I installed the fuel filler and cap. LOTS more to come!

A Place for my Bum

Image
 Seats, CHECK! We Even Have Bun Warmers... I finished the seats today. This was my first venture into upholstery, and I enjoyed the work and the results. It was satisfying and fun. I managed to find new foam for the bottom cushion but had to repair the uppers myself. Here are a couple before photos for reference... I started with thoroughly cleaning the frames and springs and coating them with a rust converter and a topcoat. You can see the damage in the upper foam in this shot. Both sides had tears in the side bolsters. I started by lining the insides of the bolsters with marine-grade vinyl. I used spray adhesive to hold it in place. This provided me with a solid surface for the frames, improved rigidity, and backing for the holes in the original foam. I removed any flaps from the tears around the rips and cut similarly shaped foam filler from 1-inch high-density foam stock. I then patched it with the same marine-grade vinyl. The foam filler pieces were also blued into place to the vi

Let There Be Paint!

Image
 Paint is 98% Complete! The unsettling notion that I would never see this day has been floating around in my head since I turned the first bolt on disassembly day back in 2018. All that's left are the doors and the body will be ready to bolt to the frame. I foresee a lot of wet sanding in my future though. Gotta knock down that orange peel.

Inching Towards Paint

Image
 No Panel Untouched The winter weather is slowing us down, but we are finally ready for paint! Of course it is supposed to rain or snow this week and the coming weekend, so it will likely be a bit before we can lay down the color. Rich even leveled the dash out! The GOAT will be straighter than when it rolled off the factory floor.

Bad Weather = No Paint Work

Image
 Weathering the Bad Weather Well the weather has been pretty cold and wet around here so painting has to be on hold until we get more favorable conditions. That doesn't mean we aren't making progress! Every part of the body has been block sanded, filled and evened out. All the LizardSkin insulation is sprayed and the under carriage is finished. I know it looks like A LOT of mud, but 75% of that was sanded off to make the surface even and ready for final primer and paint. I have been dabbling with the chassis and engine. I got the oil cooler installed along with thermostat housing and water pump. I am probably going to modify that oil cooler pipe to get the hose around the back of the oversized HEI distributor. I also decided to take a look at the valve chambers on the intake/exhaust side to make sure they were clear before I bolt up the header and the intake. I am SO GLAD I did... Best I can figure is that a mud wasp found its way in there through the engine bag and tape. I now

Blasting? Check, Primer? Check!

Image
Paint & Finish Work is Underway! The dustless blasting guy did an outstanding job and even managed to get the crappy DIY Herculiner off. The 2K epoxy primer is down and the the leveling work will likely take the rest of the week. The body will finally be Toyota 1276 Sundune White (Beige) next week!

Major Milestone Achieved!

Image
 Blasting, primer, thermal and sound insulation, undercoat, and paint. Oh My! Well I was starting to wonder if this day would ever come and here it is. I dropped the tub off for media blasting, primer, insulation, undercoating, and paint.  I also brought the rolling chassis home and will begin installing all the bolt-on stuff to the engine while I wait for the paint and body. More to come!