This is a record of my efforts to complete my first stage-4 restomod my 1968 Toyota FJ40 Land Cruiser. The goal is to build a "double take" FJ40, keeping the core components such as the drivetrain and axle assemblies Toyota and making improvements where they make sense and improve the performance and drivability of the vehicle.
I have renamed this project The GOAT.
Lots of Mockup!
Build it up, test, tear it down, rinse and repeat a million times!
I am in that phase of test-fitting all things I want to fit together, tearing it back down to make adjustments, and then doing it all over again. It is time-consuming but necessary. I got the interior mostly together just to find out that the transfer case linkage designed for a later model FJ40 doesn't play nice with the earlier model transmission tunnel cover. So I had to cut a hole in the freshly painted floor! The seats, column, wheel, and shifters all work well together though. I do have to bend the transmission shifter a bit toward the passenger side so I can get it into reverse without displacing my leg in the seat.
The pieces of floorboard removed to clearance the shift linkage
I'll be refurbishing my wheel to match the brown vinyl on the seats and have new brown clamshells for the column. I plan to use black marine carpet to cover the floorboards and transmission tunnel and the massive fuel tank will consume all the space under the seats (we die like real men... BOOM!), My new headrests will arrive someday.
Here are some more photos...
Dakota HDX Gauges mocked into place.
The late model water pump (with oil cooler), fan clutch and fan doesn't work with the early model radiator assembly. So plan b is a Volvo dual-speed electric fan. This is a popular mod with offroaders due the reliability of the Volvo fan and relays. The best part is that it plugs into my Dakota system to read temps and control fan on/off and speeds. I have the fan and wiring harness on order along with the custom belts and am installing the VintageAir condenser and dryer onto the radiator support.
My custom knobs are going to Cerakote and laser engraving at the end of the week so I should have them mocked into place this month too. Wiring, fuel lines, and brake lines are on the horizon!
The Tub & Body Panels Made it Home It has been a long time coming, but the tub and most of the panels are home! I'm still waiting on the tailgate and doors to be completed, and I might do late-style doors instead of my early-style ones. This is because the vent windows won't be usable with the cage and the window frames are pretty bad. We'll see. I had to bolt something on, so I installed the fuel filler and cap. LOTS more to come!
Weathering the Bad Weather Well the weather has been pretty cold and wet around here so painting has to be on hold until we get more favorable conditions. That doesn't mean we aren't making progress! Every part of the body has been block sanded, filled and evened out. All the LizardSkin insulation is sprayed and the under carriage is finished. I know it looks like A LOT of mud, but 75% of that was sanded off to make the surface even and ready for final primer and paint. I have been dabbling with the chassis and engine. I got the oil cooler installed along with thermostat housing and water pump. I am probably going to modify that oil cooler pipe to get the hose around the back of the oversized HEI distributor. I also decided to take a look at the valve chambers on the intake/exhaust side to make sure they were clear before I bolt up the header and the intake. I am SO GLAD I did... Best I can figure is that a mud wasp found its way in there through the engine bag and tape. I now