Well I know I cheated by showing pics of all of this kit complete while it wa all still with the builder. But it is now all home. Every major component of the build is back in my possession and I could technically start assembly. But, I wanna finish the rot removal from the tub, prep and paint it all before I get started and there are a million little things that need to be done. So I'll keep on going, one bolt at a time...
Popular posts from this blog
The Tub & Body Panels Made it Home It has been a long time coming, but the tub and most of the panels are home! I'm still waiting on the tailgate and doors to be completed, and I might do late-style doors instead of my early-style ones. This is because the vent windows won't be usable with the cage and the window frames are pretty bad. We'll see. I had to bolt something on, so I installed the fuel filler and cap. LOTS more to come!
Build it up, test, tear it down, rinse and repeat a million times! I am in that phase of test-fitting all things I want to fit together, tearing it back down to make adjustments, and then doing it all over again. It is time-consuming but necessary. I got the interior mostly together just to find out that the transfer case linkage designed for a later model FJ40 doesn't play nice with the earlier model transmission tunnel cover. So I had to cut a hole in the freshly painted floor! The seats, column, wheel, and shifters all work well together though. I do have to bend the transmission shifter a bit toward the passenger side so I can get it into reverse without displacing my leg in the seat. The pieces of floorboard removed to clearance the shift linkage I'll be refurbishing my wheel to match the brown vinyl on the seats and have new brown clamshells for the column. I plan to use black marine carpet to cover the floorboards and transmission tunnel and the massive fuel tank will co
Weathering the Bad Weather Well the weather has been pretty cold and wet around here so painting has to be on hold until we get more favorable conditions. That doesn't mean we aren't making progress! Every part of the body has been block sanded, filled and evened out. All the LizardSkin insulation is sprayed and the under carriage is finished. I know it looks like A LOT of mud, but 75% of that was sanded off to make the surface even and ready for final primer and paint. I have been dabbling with the chassis and engine. I got the oil cooler installed along with thermostat housing and water pump. I am probably going to modify that oil cooler pipe to get the hose around the back of the oversized HEI distributor. I also decided to take a look at the valve chambers on the intake/exhaust side to make sure they were clear before I bolt up the header and the intake. I am SO GLAD I did... Best I can figure is that a mud wasp found its way in there through the engine bag and tape. I now