This is a record of my efforts to complete my first stage-4 restomod my 1968 Toyota FJ40 Land Cruiser. The goal is to build a "double take" FJ40, keeping the core components such as the drivetrain and axle assemblies Toyota and making improvements where they make sense and improve the performance and drivability of the vehicle.
I have renamed this project The GOAT.
Well the EFI is in aaaand sitting on my workbench! It will be some time before I'm ready to install it as I am trying to get more disciplined in my approach to this project. My motto is "one bolt at a time" and if I don't keep that in mind, the tasks will overwhelm me. I don't want to be one of those guys who has a great rig and doesn't drive it for 10 year... or ever.
Here's an unboxing video. My first, so don't be too critical of the camera work and my words. 😏
Paint & Finish Work is Underway! The dustless blasting guy did an outstanding job and even managed to get the crappy DIY Herculiner off. The 2K epoxy primer is down and the the leveling work will likely take the rest of the week. The body will finally be Toyota 1276 Sundune White (Beige) next week!
The Tub & Body Panels Made it Home It has been a long time coming, but the tub and most of the panels are home! I'm still waiting on the tailgate and doors to be completed, and I might do late-style doors instead of my early-style ones. This is because the vent windows won't be usable with the cage and the window frames are pretty bad. We'll see. I had to bolt something on, so I installed the fuel filler and cap. LOTS more to come!
Weathering the Bad Weather Well the weather has been pretty cold and wet around here so painting has to be on hold until we get more favorable conditions. That doesn't mean we aren't making progress! Every part of the body has been block sanded, filled and evened out. All the LizardSkin insulation is sprayed and the under carriage is finished. I know it looks like A LOT of mud, but 75% of that was sanded off to make the surface even and ready for final primer and paint. I have been dabbling with the chassis and engine. I got the oil cooler installed along with thermostat housing and water pump. I am probably going to modify that oil cooler pipe to get the hose around the back of the oversized HEI distributor. I also decided to take a look at the valve chambers on the intake/exhaust side to make sure they were clear before I bolt up the header and the intake. I am SO GLAD I did... Best I can figure is that a mud wasp found its way in there through the engine bag and tape. I now